Dedicated to dealing with a challenging disease, previously thought to be incurable, but with the advent of new drugs, now amenable to management and a much improved prognosis for patients.
- Latest publication in a fast-moving area of keen clinical interest
- Authored by leading international authorities
- Builds on success of a respected first edition
- Incorporates new data on latest imaging technologies and therapies
- Covers both the science and clinical aspects, including presentation, surgical intervention and drug therapy
- Includes coverage of both Pulmonary Embolism and Deep Vein ThrombosisSince the publication of the original edition of Pulmonary Embolism, far-reaching changes have taken place in this field. The introduction of plasma D-dimer testing and clinical decision rules have simplified diagnostic assessment of many patients with either leg (DVT) or chest (PE) symptoms; the introduction of CT pulmonary angiography has changed the way in which imaging is used in diagnostic management; and the development of multidetector CT systems has minimalized the use of nuclear perfusion/ventilation and pulmonary angiography. Treatment now takes place in the community or the outpatient department.
Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism has been revised and expanded to combine all current knowledge about both of these conditions in one comprehensive volume. Experts from North America and Europe have summarized the published evidence in their field, presenting clear descriptions of these conditions, how to perform the correct test in the appropriate setting and how to manage the patient for optimal results. After a description of the clinical presentation, there is an extensive section on diagnostic procedures. This is followed by chapters on diagnostic and therapeutic management, both in the general population and in particular subgroups, i.e. pregnant women, children and people with pulmonary hypertension. Mechanical and pharmacological prevention are discussed before a closing section on treatment, including interventional techniques.
The book includes:
- state-of-the-art descriptions of the modalities employed in imaging
- information on clinical management, outcomes and risk factors
- the latest approaches to diagnosis and treatment of venous thromboembolic disease in patients with chest or leg symptoms, including later sequelae
- summaries of current guidelines for good practice
Richly illustrated, Deep Vein Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolism is designed for specialist physicians in pulmonology and cardiovascular medicine, haematologists and radiologists.
|Verlag:||John Wiley & Sons|